The Bible tells us that we reap whatever we sow. In other words, what you make happen for others, God will make happen for you. When you encourage others, you will be encouraged. When you lift someone’s spirit, God will lift your spirit. When you love someone in the midst of their difficulty, God will make sure you are loved through yours.
Something powerful happens when you begin to help others out of your own needs and disappointments. The Bible specifically mentions ten things God will do (Isaiah 58:8-11, NLT):
- Your light will break forth like the morning.
- Your healing will come quickly.
- Your godliness will lead you forward (not backwards!).
- The glory of the Lord will protect you from behind.
- When you call, the Lord will quickly answer.
- Your light will shine out from the darkness, and the darkness around you will be as bright as day.
- The Lord will guide you continually.
- He will water your life when you are dry.
- He will keep you healthy.
- You will be like a well-watered garden, like an ever-flowing spring, a spring that never goes dry.
These aren’t just pretty ideas. They are the promises of God—and they are for every person who dares to look past his or her own needs and reach out to others with the same love God gives us.
Excerpt from You Are Made For More!